Terms and Conditions

ikilimo post , last update at 06.11.2014 10:57

Background Since its inception in 2013, iKilimo has played a significant role in supporting the agriculture sector. A mobile innovation whose sole purpose is to support upcoming and already practising farmers, in Kenya and beyond. Despite the long journey, iKilimo has supported both the young and the old. From Kirinyaga county to Vihiga county, Mombasa to Garissa county, iKilimo is gradually impacting the agriculture sector, through information.

Introduction As it marks its first year, in educating the farmers, iKilimo will appreciate users who have consistently interacted with the platform. New users will also be appreciated to encourage them make use of the application and realize their dream; through “Asante Smart Farmer” Competition.

Criteria for joining the competition Joining the competition is as easy as ABC, just follow the three steps :

Step 1. Register email on the application

Step 2. Post a farming experience on the iKilimo forums section and share in the social media: For a story to be valid, one must begin their story by relating it to a topic on iKilimo; For example; Animal Production:....then write your story...

Step 3. After submitting the story, share it on social media and ask your friends to comment and repost, the more comments you have, the higher your chance of winning Kes 1000 worth of Airtime AND iKilimo fabulous hamper!

The WINNER will be contacted through the iKilimo Forum or iKilimo facebook official page https://www.facebook.com/ikilimoSmartfarming?ref=hl or mobile number 0716 511 262 only!

Don't be left out, join now!

Reply...
pmurage32@gmail.com post , last update at 19.11.2014 17:30

FARMING EXPERIENCE ON CROP PRODUCTION: Farming is viewed as a dirty job by many, but for the few who have grown and brought up with farming, actually live to emurent farming for many benefits emanate from it. I was once exposed to frustration after searching for a greener pasture in term of job and found myself with no other alternative a part from jembe. I had no starting capital, but I realized that I had surrounded by a multiple of assets in terms of social, man power and natural capital as I had friends, energy, land and compost. Through those assets, I started tilling the land with a lot of zeal, the seeds was offered by my friends at a low price. Planting potato by then using compost appeared to discourage my friends who used to monitor me but I had to convince them that the crop will do well. Due to the healthy soil, the crop thrived well and resisted many diseases and pests and therefore I did not spray my crop even a single day unlike many farmers who spent a lot of money towards buying chemicals by that time. When you feed the soil well with compost, you increase soil water holding capacity thus your crop will utilize the little water it receive, soil structure is building up, micro organisms will increase and they will have something to eat in the soil and therefore your crop will be safe from destruction. During harvesting, my yield was good as I harvested 40 bags in a half an acre of land and by then a bag of potato was selling at 1500 totalling to Ksh60000 comparing to the cost of production I still made a profit. Farming is a profitable business if one work towards optimizing production cost by utilizing locally available resources. Also record is very essential in any farming as without it, there is no way you can tell whether you have made profit or not. Profit is a matter of plus and not negative, when you make a loss, it will give you more energy to plan and do things better for good results.

Reply...
Register / Log in